here
Indiatastes
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recipe for basic idli
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:22 am 

Hi, I used to use Idli rice to make idlis, but these days, I cant find idli rice in stores due to shortage. Can we use parboiled rice instead of idli rice. If so, what is the proportion of the rice towards urad dhal.

Please let me know. thanks...

Post subject: RE: Recipe for basic idli
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 am 

How to make ultra soft idlis? I used to prepare idlis at home but its little hard. Pls giv me a clue with regards to that of exact ratio of mixing rice with dhal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:59 pm 

difft type of good recipe for rice idle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 am 

yes..u can use parboiled rice for idli's..the proportion is 4 cups of rice and 3/4 cups of urad dal and 2 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds...the main purpose of using this fenugreek is that we can get more ultra soft idli's..

Thanks
Padmasri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:38 pm 

How to make soft idlis. What are the proportions of rice and dhall to be used. Is there any thing to be added to the batter?

Post subject: RE: RE: Recipe for basic idli
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 pm 

1 Urad : 1 paraboiled(riceland brand) : 1 boiled(regular sonamasuri)

Dry fry boiled rice a little until it becomes hot but it should not turn red or brown.
Soak all of them seperately.
First grind Urad for 45 mins or more, while grinding keep adding 1/8 or 1/4 cup of water when it becomes thick but don't make the dough too thin. It will increase in volume or quantity. But Urad should be ground for a long time until it is very fine and volume increases. This is very important.
Take out the Urad in a big vessel.
Now grind the boiled rice, grind for 4-5 mins until it is coarse paste. It should not be fine paste.
Take this out and add it to Urad dough.
Now, grind paraboiled rice for 3-4 mins, until it just cracks, it will be very coarse. Add this Urad dough mix.
Add salt.
This will ferment within 1 - 2 days depending on the temperature.
I hope it comes well as it does for me. I hope who will all try this one will enjoy the soft south Indian Mysore Idli.

Thanks
jyo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:21 pm 

1 Urad : 1 paraboiled(riceland brand) : 1 boiled(regular sonamasuri)

Dry fry boiled rice a little until it becomes hot but it should not turn red or brown.
Soak all of them seperately.
First grind Urad for 45 mins or more, while grinding keep adding 1/8 or 1/4 cup of water when it becomes thick but don't make the dough too thin. It will increase in volume or quantity. But Urad should be ground for a long time until it is very fine and volume increases. This is very important.
Take out the Urad in a big vessel.
Now grind the boiled rice, grind for 4-5 mins until it is coarse paste. It should not be fine paste.
Take this out and add it to Urad dough.
Now, grind paraboiled rice for 3-4 mins, until it just cracks, it will be very coarse. Add this Urad dough mix.
Add salt.
This will ferment within 1 - 2 days depending on the temperature.
I hope it comes well as it does for me. I hope who will all try this one will enjoy the soft south Indian Mysore Idli.

Thanks
jyo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:27 am 

the ratio is 5:1& add little soaked aval.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:07 am 

The ratio of mixing rice with urad dal is 2:1. That is if you are taking four cups of rice, the urad dal should be 2 cups.
For making soft idlis, after grinding rice and urad dal separately grind 1 cup of cooked rice and join all three . Keep it for 12 hours then use it You will get soft idlis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:08 am 

The ratio of mixing rice with urad dal is 2:1. That is if you are taking four cups of rice, the urad dal should be 2 cups.
For making soft idlis, after grinding rice and urad dal separately grind 1 cup of cooked rice and join all three . Keep it for 12 hours then use it You will get soft idlis

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next